Indispensable on a picnic with family or outdoors with friends. Favorably stands out on the supermarket shelf among the goods of competitors. Furthermore, it is convenient to transport and does not break. Flexible, capacious, and environmentally friendly are the keywords that can be used to describe Super Pouch packaging. However, these are not all the advantages of this type of packaging.
What are the prerequisites for using flexible packaging? Why do manufacturers prefer Super Pouch over the usual plastic containers or canisters?
Over the last 50 years, there has been an increase in demand for the manufacture of plastic products. Global plastics production has increased 20 times since 1960, reaching 322 million tons in 2015 (according to A European Strategy for Plastics in a Circular Economy. It is predicted to double again over the next 20 years.
However, there is another side of the coin - excessive use of non-recyclable plastics has a negative impact on the environment. According to the report "A European Strategy for Plastics in a Circular Economy", packaging is 39.9% of total plastics use in the EU. But the potential for recycling plastic waste remains largely untapped.
The level of plastic waste reuse and recycling is very low, especially compared to materials such as paper, glass, or metals. According to a report by Plastics Europe, Europe generates about 25.8 million tons of plastic waste annually. Less than 30% of it goes for recycling and about 50% goes to landfill.
Therefore, regulation of plastics use in the packaging production is an important point. The European Commission and other institutions are actively involved in this topic, working on development of new laws and projects in the context of sustainable development from year to year.
The governments of the world's leading countries are also pursuing active policies to reduce the use of non-recyclable plastics.
An alternative to the usual rigid packaging is a flexible packaging such as Super Pouch. It has a wide range of applications, including:
- Milk products;
- Vegetable oils;
- Household chemicals;
- Chemicals for cars.
Its main advantages are:
- Less amount of plastic is used for fitments production. TECHNOLOGIA JSC produces Т-Тар Low. 21% less plastic is used to produce its body, and 44.3% less – to produce its Gland.
- Less weight of Super Pouch in comparison with other packaging – 57% less plastic compared to 1L bottle and 73% less plastic compared to 5L bottle accordingly.
- Reduction of CO2 emissions by involving fewer trucks for packaging transportation, as it is more compact than rigid packaging.
- Production sector is capable to produce the Super Pouch from 0,75L to 10L,which reduces the consumers’ needs to go to the supermarket for an additional portion of drinks. As a result, the use of transport and the amount of CO2 emissions are reduced at the same time.
- Possibility to produce Super Pouch packaging on the EVOH-based structure instead of metPET.