There is acommon belief that says that your house reflects your personality. So,homeowners desire to keep their homes clean, neat, and attractive forthemselves and others. However, when a water stain appears, your homeappearance is compromised, and you wonder how to deal with that problem.
Actually,it is frequent to see water stains on the ceiling in many homes, particularlyin Florida, due to our humid weather.
You have tosurpass the impulse of just painting the stain. Instead, you should find wherethe issue comes from. Usually, the cause is something else, like a leakingroof.
Those whotry to discover what causes the issue will need expertise and knowledge. If youdon’t have these attributes, you can call a professional. We will evaluate thesituation, diagnose the problem, and provide a plan to resolve it. Remember,you are not alone.
Various typical factors can cause a water stain toappear:
Ceiling Stains — Common Causes
- LeakyPipes –In these cases,leaking pipes aretypically theissue.Frequently you will find themdirectly above the stain. But, the leakage does not have to be exactly abovethe stain. It can take place elsewhere, perhaps father away from the stainitself. Likewise,the stain’s color and smell may be another sign of damaged pipes. The watermost probably came right from the pipe, if the color is clear and the staindoes not have any particular odor. Also, pipe leakage may appear by any cleftsomewhere in the pipe. On the other hand, these could be obsolete, and thematerial may sweat out the water.
- LeakingRoof – Other frequent stains cause are leaks in your roof.The objective of roofing materials is to protect everything below them fromwater. But, if the water filters through your roof, it will pool anywhere andreach the ceiling later, creating those ugly stains in your ceiling. Improperlyinsulated ducts, old waterproofing layers, gaps between flashings, there arenumerous reasons why water can filter into your home. Generally, the color ofroof leak stains is brown or black. The water gets these colors due to contactwith roofing materials and dirt.
- Cloggedand Warped Gutters– an external leak also can be the reason for yourwater stains. For example, structural failures such as broken or obstructedgutters can affect the way your roofing system directs rainwater. When thegutters are clogged, the water gets back to the roof. Then, it penetrates anycrack in the shingles and filtering underneath. This is how water stains onyour ceilings and walls can have an external source.
We couldlist a large number of water stains causes. The source of ceiling stains may beother variables such as water quality, defective ice dam structure, moisture,and more. But, what can you do to avoid the damage? There are two ways ofdealing with ceiling stains:
- You could do it yourself or
- You can request professional help
The DIY waymay look attractive, but in the end, it is not easy. After all, you will needto know what you are doing and have the necessary tools and equipment. If youdo not do the job properly, you could cause even more damage to your house andyour pocket.
Remind thefollowing; usually, behind every water stain, there is a deeper issue. By onlypainting it over, you will hide the stain for a while. But, meanwhile, the rootdegradation will continue to worsen.
Instead,try to detect the real cause of the problem.
First, youshould determine the severity and duration of the leak. By doing so, you willget important information about the stain cause, enabling you to prepare thefollowing actions.
Forexample, if the stain is large, there should be a rupture causing a burst ofwater. If it is small, likely the reason is a leak. Then, locate the leaksource, take the necessary tools, and make the repairs. Maybe, you will have tofix a pipe or patch a puncture in the roofing underlayment.
Moreover,there is another approach that may be even more successful. You can call us orcontact us online, and we can offer you a free inspection. Likely, we can setan appointment in less than 24 hours and fix that leak before it causes biggerand costlier damage.
Republic Roofing specialists are highly qualified professionals with vast experiencediagnosing roofing problems in all the State of Tennessee. We gladly serve Collierville,and Memphis, TN.